When examining the existing HVAC (Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system or building a new system, there are a few questions that need to be answered. A list of questions about your HVAC system can be found below.
- What is the type of HVAC system?
- All-air, all-water, air-water, geothermal, or another type?
- Is it VAV or CAV?
- Are there different temperature zones of the building?
- In case of either of these, why has this specific system been used and not another system?
- What are the components of the HVAC system (cooling tower, AHU, boiler, thermostat, etc.)?
- How do they function?
- Where is the location of mechanical room in the plan? In what floor?
- What about fan room?
- Is the boiler room and chiller room in the same room?
- How many AHUs does the building have?
- How does the ductwork or piping run horizontally or vertically in the building?
- Are there complaints from the occupants about their thermal comfort? What are those
complaints? What would the facility manager change if the opportunity arises?
- What aspects of the system make the building LEED compliant?
- Is there an Energy Recovery ventilator (ERV) that provides ventilation (fresh air)?