Many find shipping containers of cargo storage boxes to be fantastic solutions to their needs. These huge boxes can contain anything and can be used as storage, conversion projects, and even a home. You can know more about them in this site.
Most boxes, even the used ones, are still water-tight, secure, long-lasting, and affordable. One can buy a used shipping container and use it for decades afterwards.
If you are one of the people who want to find quality containers, the first thing that you need to look for is whether it is ISO-certified. This means that the shipping box has passed stringent tests and has followed the rules when it is still on its manufacturing stage. When you choose the one that is ISO-certified, you can be assured that the box is durable and is made up of premium materials.
If you are having a hard time on how to select the best container that will fit your needs, then this article can act as a guide for you.
How to Choose the Right Container Box for You
- Choose the Right Size Accordingly
Many shipping containers or Connex boxes come in different sizes and shapes. Some can vary with sizes such as 8’ up to over 50’ in length. This being said, many containers are shaped into high cubes with dimensions of 20 feet and 40 feet. These containers are typically taller than the standard of about 8 feet high.
You can choose a standard container size that is easy to get, especially if you are buying it from overseas. There are lots of cargo containers for sale that you can easily choose from when you go to the right size. Determine the use of the Connex box, select the appropriate size that you think is going to work for your project, choose the color that you want, and you’re done.
- Be Clear with the Grade that You Want
There are several grades or ratings that you can choose from when it comes to the cargo boxes. Here are four of the most common classes that you might want to look at:
- New – These are containers that have made just one trip overseas. This trip is from the manufacturer’s factory going to your local port. These one-trippers are basically new, and they are very durable.
- ISO-Certified – These are cargo containers used in a lot of shipping lines overseas. Even if they have already made several trips, they are still in good condition. You can read more about ISO standards here: http://www.isbu-association.org/all-about-shipping-containers.htm.
- Wind and Water Tight – These are used or second-hand containers that make trips in cargo vessels several times a year. They might be a bit old, but they are still considered as intact and unbroken.
- As-is – These are used Connex boxes that may contain severe rust. They can be more than eight years already, and they might have doors that don’t have 100% seals. The metals in the pinholes may not also be present anymore.
Most of the people may choose between a used wind and watertight container, or a new one.
- Decide whether you want aluminum or steel
Boxes are not made equally, and you may want to choose the materials that they are made from. There are steel containers that can be frequently found in overseas shipping operations. The steel ones are often stronger and more durable compared to aluminum.
A tip: If you decided to convert the boxes into a home, you might want to choose the steel varieties as it is stronger and can withstand the weather and elements in your area. They are made for long trips to vast stretches of oceans, after all. If you want to use the box as a storage space, then the aluminum can be the right fit for you.
- Choose Colors that you Prefer
Connex boxes come in a variety of colors. You can choose the plain-colored ones. Most often, you will find a used one with a company logo painted all over it. If you buy the used ones, you can have the option of repainting the logo and choosing a different color and design afterward.
- Consider Where you are Situated
Your location matters, and it can increase or decrease the price of the Connex boxes that you are going to buy. Some boxes can be available immediately after you order them, and some can take weeks before it gets to you. If you live in an urban city near ports, then you may get a reasonable price and a better deal when you get one. However, if you live in a rural area, expect that there will be delivery fees and long waits before the container reaches to you.
You can ask several companies about the costs if you live in a rural area. You can compare the prices of purchasing the container overseas compared to buying them from overseas where they originated, which is a generally cheaper option.
If you live near the dealer where you are going to make the purchase, you might not have to pay the costs of shipping and deliveries. But if you are father, you might shoulder all the shipping costs plus extra expenses that you have negotiated with the seller.
You can look at the local newspapers to see if there’s a good deal in the classified ads for shipping boxes. You can also get more information on websites and forums on where to get the best container and whether a company is legit or not.
Leave a Reply