Enhance your outdoor living experience by installing a deck for your bungalow. Before you start on this project, we’d suggest you consult the local building laws and regulations. Also, please check the utilities so that you don’t damage the underlying cables and pipes.
Materials you need
- Timber that is pressure treated
- Circular saw
- A measuring tape
- Galvanized nails
- Chalk line
- Some bolts, nuts, and washers
- Concrete and a wheelbarrow for mixing it
- Socket wrench
- Post anchors
- Joist hangers
To get the right products for your deck-building project, contact companies like Sand4U.
Steps to installing a deck:
- First, measure the height of the deck using your tape. You can use a few pieces of scrap to make marks ¾ inch below the siding. Use your chalk to draw lines between the marks; this will guide you in making the ledge board.
For a very short time, drive some nails into the ledger board. You may also pre-drill a few 1-1/4 holes into the board. These holes should pierce the house framing as well. Next, from below the house framing, drive in your galvanized nails and bolts and fix them outside with nuts and washers. After doing this, check whether the ledger board is fixed firmly as a major portion of your deck framing will be housed here.
- Now, fix a 2x8 inch ledger board at right angles to your house. While doing this, check whether it is level to the ground, and then tie it with a 2x4 inch platform or post-fixed on the ground. Use another 2x4 inch platform but on the other side. Now, cut 2 2x8 inch wooden boards and place them, so they cover the length of your deck. In the next step, fix these two boards to your 2x8 inch ledger board that you have set right angles to your house.
In the 4th step, make sure that your deck frame is a perfect square. For this, you may use your level. To see whether your frame is square, measure it from corner to corner. Repeat this exercise for other corners and check whether the results match. If there is even a small difference, make minor adjustments.
- We have shovels so let’s dig some footings around your deck structure. These would be used to fix the posts above the grade. These holes should be quite deep, say 16x16x 8 inches. This much depth is required to make your structure stand for a long time. Once you have dug up the holes, fill them with concrete prepared according to the directions on the package. Remove air bubbles, if any, by using your home. Make sure that your holes are filled to the brim.
- Now put the corner posts above an anchor on the concrete. Mark the anchor with a pencil or a pen and remove that post. You will also have to indicate the location of a bolt. With your drill and mortar bit, dig a hole into the concrete, and fix a bolt to this footing. Fix your post anchor with your socket wrench.
- Now, put the post inside your anchor and drive it through the latter. While doing this, cut grooves on each post so that it stands against the frame. Also, ensure that two wood pieces are stacked against each other.
- Ensure that the joists are suspended 16 inches on top of the centre at least. For heavier objects like a tub, these should hang at least a foot above the centre.
When all the boards have been put, use your saw to cut the excess wood.
Leave a Reply