Vertical blinds gather more dust than horizontal blinds. It would help if you cleaned them often to prevent them from becoming breeding ground for germs. Most people wonder how to clean fabric vertical blinds. If you have a similar question, we have shared five safe ways to clean vertical fabric blinds. Check out how to clean fabric vertical blinds.
Method One – Dusting/Vacuuming Vertical Blinds
This is the easiest way to clean blinds at home. You need a few items like a thick duster and a vacuum cleaner. Here are the steps to clean the blinds:
- Close the blinds, so the flat side faces you. Use the duster to remove loose dirt sticking to blinds. Start from the top part and move towards the bottom part. You can start from the left side and move towards the right side until all blinds are dust-free.
- Turn the road attached to the blinds, so the outer surface now faces you. Use the same method to clean the blinds. Avoid using a cloth or light duster as it only moves dust and does not remove it.
- Take the vacuum cleaner, attach the upholstery cleaning brush, and clean the blinds the same way you did with the thick duster.
In most cases, the blinds will look cleaner by following this method. If there are any spots visible and you are wondering how to clean fabric vertical blinds and get rid of them, follow the 2nd method.
Method Two - Spot Cleaning
Spot cleaning is a wet cleaning method that uses a cleaning solution. Follow these steps to prepare a cleaning solution.
- Take a bowl of water and add one tablespoon of liquid dish soap and mix well. Liquid dish soap is effective in cleaning fabric blinds.
- Dip a sponge or microfiber cloth in the solution and wring it.
- Spray the soapy solution on the vertical blinds and start wiping with a microfiber cloth. Start from the top and move towards the bottom.
- Take another microfiber cloth and dip it in clean water. Wipe the blinds with the clean cloth from top to bottom.
- Allow the blinds to dry naturally.
Method Three - Clean the Blinds in a Bathtub
Before following this method, check whether it is safe to submerge fabric blinds in water and then proceed.
- Wipe each blind with a microfiber cloth. Shake them lightly to remove any loose dust.
- Remove the blinds from the rails and place them in a bathtub.
- Fill the bathtub with warm water and add dish soap. Mix well to create a foamy solution.
- Let the blinds soak in the solution for one hour.
- Drain the cleaning solution from the bathtub and remove the blinds carefully.
- Wipe each blind with a cloth and place them on a towel or cloth to dry.
Method Four – Clean Them in a Washing Machine.
- Remove the vertical blinds from the rail and fold them in half.
- Place them in a pillowcase and tie the open end of the pillowcase.
- Put the pillowcase in the washing machine.
- Select the gentle wash cycle that you use for woollen and delicate clothes.
- Run the washing machine. Wait for the wash cycle to finish.
- Remove the pillowcase and open it to remove the blinds.
- Allow the verticals blinds to air dry before placing them on rails.
Method Five – Use a Steam Cleaner
- Fill the steam cleaner with adequate water and turn it on.
- Connect the attachment to the hose.
- Perform a small test on one corner of the blinds to find if the process is safe.
- Apply steam (point the nozzle) to the blinds. Start from the top part and move towards the bottom part.
- Clean both sides with the steam cleaner.
- Allow the blinds to dry naturally.
These are some of the safest ways to clean your vertical fabric blinds. Following these methods will give you clean blinds without damaging them. I hope you enjoyed reading about how to clean fabric vertical blinds. Furthermore, please leave your thoughts and comments below. Finally, read some other articles like this one on our frontpage. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.