New Vs Used Forklift: Which one should you buy?
Material handling is part of your operations, and you need to invest in a heavy-duty forklift. Time and again you have decided but could not finally make it. The result is you resort to other ways of moving materials which are very tiresome and incur huge labor cost. You know that the only answer to this is getting the heavy-duty lifting machine soon but somehow it does not fit your budget.
There are, in fact, other alternatives. You could decide on a refurbished forklift with high power for material handling. The question is should you go for a used forklift or opt for a brand new one? Both remanufactured forklifts and new ones have their own benefits. The only thing you need to know is what is best for you. Also, if you are buying a remanufactured forklift, you need to be extra cautious about the quality of the machine and parts that have been used in it.
Why buy a new Forklift
- If your material handling operations extend beyond four hours a day, it is better to invest in a new forklift. This is because the remanufactured ones are normally put on sale due to some defects or other reason. Sometimes, these defects are hard to detect, and the machine does not work properly unless repaired or refurbished.
- Secondly, the previous owners may have used it for a considerable period before letting it go. So, the build quality of the machine is not as good as that of a new machine.
- Thirdly, the refurbished machines require frequent maintenance and hence the maintenance cost becomes higher, which in the long run, becomes almost equal to investing in a new machine.
- The fuel consumption of the remanufactured forklift is higher as compared to the new machine. If you add up the fuel costs, you will find there is hardly any saving worth the hassles.
- The longevity of the machine varies. While a new forklift can be used for around twenty-five years easily, the remanufactured one normally lasts a decade or a little more depending on the use and maintenance.
- Sixth, If you are buying a new machine, you have more flexibility to check the inventory and buy one that is compact and has adjustable parts that suit all your needs. In remanufactured ones, you get the older models that may not be so flexible, and you may not have a wide choice on the attachment parts.
Why buy a remanufactured forklift
After all, has been said and done, it is sometimes prudent to stick to the remanufactured forklift for several reasons.
- Though you may be able to accommodate the fuel and maintenance expenses gradually, shelling out a huge sum for a new machine may be beyond your reach.
- When it comes to maintaining a pre-owned forklift, you can turn to the used parts market. For instance, a used forklift transmission can be purchased at a fraction of the sticker price without compromising the functionality and performance.
- If you operate for four hours or less, the remanufactured forklift will perfectly suit your needs.
- You may be a start-up going on small investment at first and after a decade or so of running your business, you may be able to afford a new forklift that suits your requirement.
Assess your capacity and the requirement for the machine and then make a prudent decision. However, if you have decided to buy a remanufactured forklift, you must get grips with the potential issues that may arise, so that you can take preventative measures to avoid huge repair expenses.
Leave a Reply