Your home plumbing system is very essential for your house. Here are some tips and a checklist on how to maintain your plumbing system.
Along with other features of a good home, you require a great plumbing system installed. For obvious reasons, you need a great plumbing system for good hygiene, washing, cooking, gardening, etc.
You need to have an efficient plumbing system that runs smoothly, as it provides you with clean water.
A plumbing system supplies water regularly all over the building through the built-in pipes. It is essential for the community and environment, just as oxygen is important for us. The plumbing system ensures the water comes into and out of the house efficiently, making your life easier.
However, if you notice leakage you need to know how to fix it, as speedy fixation will prevent excess moisture inside the house, which can lead to mold and fungus build up.
Here are some ways to maintain your home plumbing system.
Benefits of Plumbing System
There are huge benefits to a properly functioning plumbing system:
- For hygiene, good health, and our well-being, a good plumbing system, and clean water are very much required.
- It gives out the essence of modern living.
- It can help the community during drought and any kind of water shortage.
- Devices that help in saving water can help in an increase in water efficiency and by saving energy.
Home Plumbing Checklist
The following checklist will help you maintain a healthy plumbing system around your place. Follow these steps to avoid any kind of plumbing related mishaps.
Daily Maintenance Tips
- To prevent any kind of blockage you need to clear clogs as soon as possible.
- You need to be alert about the objects that go down the drain.
- After using the disposal, run cold water for around 15 seconds.
Weekly Maintenance Tips
- Check under the sink to locate any kind of leakage or signs of moisture.
- Check your shower drains and sinks for slow drainage.
- Clean the lint traps in your washing machine, to avoid clogging.
Seasonal Maintenance Tips
- When the season’s a bit cooler, shut off the valves and insulate pipes, disconnect the hoses.
- When the season’s a bit warmer, check if there are any leaks, monitor the appliances, and clean the sprinklers.
- You should schedule an inspection, annually.
Check out plumber Manassas VA, for their excellent plumbing maintenance service.
Why Plumbing Maintenance is Important?
It is an important function of your house as it allows you to get fresh water, and flush out wastage. Most people aren’t aware of their plumbing system’s wellbeing until a problem shows up.
If we delay fixing the system, it might turn into a bigger issue in the long run. Resulting in huge bills.
However, all these can be avoided with proper maintenance. And this is something that should be done on a regular basis. Not only you will end up spending a lot of money fixing it but also it will result in a waste of water too. Now we wouldn’t want that, right?
Maintenance comes with you checking up on small leaks, small steps at a time can help you prevent something bigger. However, for seasonal checkups, you need to maintain the septic system, water-using appliances- heaters, washing machines, and dishwashers.
A leak can not only waste water but can also damage your house. Causing the growth of mold, pipe corrosion, and rotten wood. It is more costly compared to the daily checkup of the plumbing system.
In some cases, the pipe freezes and bursts resulting in huge leakage and flooding of the house. On top of that, if the furniture and carpet absorb the water, in the long run, it’ll end up with mold growth.
The best way to avoid all these hassles is by maintaining the plumbing system. It’ll keep the cost low, and you can save a lot of energy as well.
Maintaining your Kitchen and Bathroom
One of the most common plumbing issues is the clogging of the pipes or drainage system. They are not just troublesome, they also damage your waste pipes quicker than usual.
The bathroom and kitchen are the two places where water is used the most. Let’s check out how to maintain the plumbing system of these two rooms.
- You should always turn on water and disposal before you dispose of food.
- You should never dump stringy or fibrous food down the disposal, as it is hard to filter these and drain them.
- Allow cold water to run for 15 seconds after you use the disposal. This exerts pressure and the residue drains as well.
- You should always run your dishwasher at night to conserve hot water, and to get good water pressure in the day time.
- Reduce using bath oils to prevent clogging of sink drains.
- Installing mesh over drains helps prevent hair from going down the drain.
- Avoid toilet clogging by not dumping everything in, then flushing it. Human waste and tissues can be flushed down the toilet only. Tampons and other wipes should be dumped in a trash can.
- Wait for about 10 minutes between the shower, to maintain good water pressure. This way you will get a good water supply throughout the day.
- Avoid using chemicals for unclogging, which can cause more harm to the pipes, resulting in pipe corrosion.
Good Home Plumbing, Happy House
There can be many issues when you have to take action for a plumbing situation. You may be too busy to take timely care by yourself, then call your local plumbers, the job might look too much or difficult for you at times.
There are solutions available out there. So don’t worry about it.
You should never let your home plumbing system go unchecked, as you know the amount of discomfort and damage you have to go through if you avoid maintaining it.
No one likes a muddy or flooded house. It’s unhygienic and damages your house. Your house needs to be in good shape so that you can be healthy.
Can you imagine going without water for a few days, or getting a dirty water supply?