Getting a good night's sleep is essential for your body's relaxation and general health. One of the significant factors that may inhibit you from getting such a deep slumber is inadequate air circulation in your bedroom. This is not an issue during the day as you can open the bedroom windows for fresh air.
However, opening the windows at night is not such a wise idea. Innovators and manufacturers have come up with HEPA air purifiers that can be used in your bedroom. The devices help you sleep better by trapping any impurities that may cause you to lose your sleep.
How do Air Purifiers Improve Your Sleep?
Air purifiers are beneficial to you, whether you have allergies and cardiovascular issues or not. Such health conditions are associated with a lack of a sound snooze. However, you don't need to have these conditions to reap the benefits of an air purifier.
Air purifiers improve the quality of your sleep in the following proven ways:
- They trap and remove dust, smoke, pet hair and dander, bacteria, and other particulates in the air. Such micro-organisms can irritate your eyes, lungs, and skin, causing you to stay awake in the night.
- According to research, the sounds produced by these devices have also been associated with improved night slumber.
- Air purifiers also reduce odors in your bedroom, leading to an unobstructed night.
- Improved air quality guaranteed by the purifiers soothes your body for a deeper and better sleep throughout the night.
Technologies used in Air Purifiers
In today’s market, you will find air purifiers that function using different technologies. Some of these technologies are quite advanced, and they perform better than others. Some are just add-ons that are not so necessary in a purifier.
These technologies include:
HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. These filters are designed to trap particles in the air, such as pollen, dust particles, mold spores, and dust mite allergens. Rigorous tests are done on the filters before they are approved as HEPA, where they have to trap 99.9997% particles with a diameter of 0.3 microns. However, HEPA filters do not remove smell and odors, and they require regular replacements.
You might hear some people complaining about using Ozone filters, saying that they are bad for your health and may cause more severe health issues. Much of this information is generated by Ozone’s competitors in the manufacture of air purifiers. However, it would be best to be very cautious when using an air purifier with Ozone filters.
They are effective in cleaning the air, and they are even used in large scale industrial air purification. The only disadvantage is that too much Ozone could harm your general health.
These filters are designed to trap any particles and gases that pass right through HEPA filters. You will find carbon filters, also known as charcoal filters, alongside HEPA filters acting as a second filtration layer. These filters are effective in trapping smoke, gasses, and fumes within the filter, but they also often need replacements.
When air particles are electronically charged, they stick to the plate inside the filter or stick together and become too heavy to float. This is the work of ionizers. The newer ionizer technologies are more effective than the older versions. The most significant benefit of ionizers is that air can be purified even without going through the purifier first.
Considerations to Make when Purchasing a Bedroom Air Purifier
Different models, designs, and technologies may make it challenging to choose an air purifier that will work in a bedroom. These factors will help you make an informed decision next time you go shopping:
- Your budget – different purifiers come at varying prices. Having a budget will help you know which device you want and how much you want to spend on it.
- Check out the reviews for different air purifiers to ensure that you choose an effective one. These reviews are readily available online.
- Why do you need an air purifier? – Smoke, allergies, asthma, pets, and chemical sensitivity are just some of the reasons why you might need to get this device.
- Size – how big is your bedroom? Your bedroom's size will determine the size of the purifier you choose.
- The purifier’s maintenance cost.
It is a proven fact that air purifiers play a pivotal role in helping you sleep better. People who suffer from allergies and cardiovascular conditions reap the most benefits from an air purifier. However, these devices are essential even if you do not have such health issues. To ensure that you get the best purifier for your needs, you need to make some considerations, including your budget, the size of your bedroom, and the purifier maintenance cost.