House molds are bothersome. They don’t just affect parts of your home looks, they can also cause health issues, especially if you have asthma. Whether or not you’re allergic to molds, exposure to it can irritate your nose, throat, lungs, as well as your eyes. Thus, they need to be dealt with as soon as possible.
One of the first things to do to prevent or get rid of them is to know what causes them in the first place. Here are some of them.
Causes of House Molds
If a part of your home has humidity levels greater than 55 percent, mold is likely to grow in it. This is natural, though, as house molds thrive in areas with high moisture. They’re usually found on ceilings, walls, under your kitchen sink, as well as in a dark closet. This is also common in homes located in areas where humidity is persistently high.
Even if your home isn’t located in areas with high humidity, you’re still not safe from these pesky molds. Because apparently, leaking pipes can also provide a breeding ground for molds in your home, as per seasoned waterproofers from oriolebw.com. Leaking pipes can cause water to seep through your walls.
And because air can’t get through it, nothing will dry the moisture that it causes. So, as a result, mold will grow.
Speaking of leaks, a leaking roof can also cause mold to grow. Roof leaks are caused by damage brought by either wear and tear or extreme weather conditions, such as typhoons.
And just like how leaking pipes cause mold on walls, leaking roofs also help molds thrive in ceilings and your attic. This is due to a huge build-up of moisture that doesn't easily dry up.
Another thing that’s causing mold build-up in your home is poor ventilation. Even if you don’t have leaks to deal with, sometimes, the steam that comes out of your appliances, bathing, and cooking is the one that creates moisture and humidity. This leaves surfaces in your home sticky and damp, which makes a good breeding ground for molds.
Because molds like moisture, they can also grow into your damp clothes. If you leave damp clothing sitting around your home, it can greatly contribute to your growing mold problem.
While they may seem harmless, molds can actually cause you big trouble not only on your property but also on your health. That said, it’s important to get rid of them as soon as possible. Fortunately, there are numerous ways you can get rid of them forever. Here are some of them.
Leaks are one of the most common causes of mold. If you will not fix them right away, they will not just damage your property and cause you to spend a hefty amount of money for repairs but they can also cause molds to come back again and again even if you use the toughest solutions in the market.
Thus, make sure to fix the leaks first to ensure that the mold won’t return. It may cost some dollars, but considering how it can improve your home, it’s definitely worth spending on.
These days, we’re lucky to have chemicals available in the market to get rid of molds. You can use them to get rid of the molds in your home. Some of them even come in sprays so it’s easier to use even on ceilings.
Others, on the other hand, don’t require any scrubbing at all. All you have to do is to spray or cover the moldy surface with the solution, leave it to dry, and you’re good to go.
The only downside to this, though, is that most of them are too strong and aren’t that safe for pets. Some of them can even harm your skin or your eyes if you don’t wear the right protective gear. Additionally, they also have a strong smell that could cause headaches, especially if you use too much.
Sometimes, the solution to your mold problems can just be found in your home too. In fact, most of them might probably be found in your kitchen alone. The best thing about them is that they’re not harmful to the skin and won’t cause other irritation.
However, the only downside of it is that you might need to re-apply them on the surface and wait for several minutes to an hour as they’re not as strong as the commercial solutions. Still, they’re much affordable and are non-toxic.
If you want to try out natural solutions first, here are some of them and how you can use them:
- White vinegar - Pour undiluted on a spray bottle. Spray on the surface and leave for 1 hour before wiping it dry with water.
- Baking soda - Dilute one-quarter of a tablespoon in water and pour on a spray bottle. Spray on the moldy area and brush the surface right away. Then, rinse with water. After that, spray the area again and just let it dry without wiping to kill any left-over mold.
- Tea tree oil - Combine 1 tsp. with one cup of water. Shake it until the oil blends with water and spray the area. Leave it to dry for 1 hour before wiping with a dry cloth.
- Lemons - Juice 3 to 5 lemons and pour over the moldy surface. Just let it sit for 5 mins. before wiping the area with a damp towel. Re-apply if needed to eliminate tough mold stains.
If your mold problems have already worsened, you’ll probably need a professional to deal with them. Not only will they have the right tools and products to get rid of those pesky molds but they can also help you save more time and effort.
Molds aren’t just an eyesore, they could also grow and affect your health and the value of your property. Therefore, make sure to deal with it as soon as you see any sign of mold.