A skid steer is a construction vehicle powered by a small machine. Some have tracks, while others have wheels. Wheels work wonders in flat terrains, but tracks are the best option for challenging landscapes.
Skid steers with tracks tackle complex surfaces like sandy and snowy grounds and work well on uneven and wet grounds where wheels fail to perform. Installing skid steer tracks over the tires of your loader lets it manoeuvre in poor conditions, which do not hamper the business productivity.
Here is the complete users’ guide that handholds you through the steps to install skid steer tracks overtires in the loader.
Once you have the installation kit ready, here is how to install the skid steer tracks over tires.
- Place the tracks parallel and side by side to each other. The distance between the tracks should be the same as between the right and the left tires.
- Raise the skim boom and lock it. This helps in minimizing any injury risk when installing the tracks.
- Drive the skid steer on the tracks carefully. When you have reached halfway on the track, stop the machine.
- Carry and then fold the tracks back end over the equipment back tire.
- The same steps should be done on the tracks’ frontal ends. Fold them on the front tires of the machine.
- It is now time to assemble your installation tool. The tool is composed of a threaded rod and two C-clamps.
- Spot the first open section in your track and insert the installation tool that you have assembled. The other end should be connected to the tracks opposite end.
- Use the ratchet and bring the ends of the two tracks together. You will need to place the ratchet on the end of the threaded rod.
- The open track section should be close enough to insert the links into the tracks section slots.
- Towards the tracks outside, insert a carriage bolt, ensuring that all of them are well-tightened. The bolts should be tightened to 100 pounds of torque pressure.
- Loosen the installation tool and remove it.
- Now drive the equipment forward, which will create space for you to insert the carriage bolt on the tracks inside. Tighten off the bolt once you have inserted it.
You may need a heavy-duty rope to place the track on the tire. This may be required because the OTT tracks are heavyweight. Here is an alternative method to install the over-the-tire tracks.
- Tie one end of the rope on the last chain pad of the track.
- The rope then should be extended along and over the tire’s tread.
- Now encircle the rope on the tire tread front end.
- To secure the rope, tuck it under the tire to pull the track halfway over the rear end of the tire.
- Now move the equipment forward, carry the best part of the track, and put it on the front tire.
Things to Keep In Mind
Read through the instructions and understand them before you start with the installation of skid steer tracks overtires. This will help to avoid injury or damage. Check to ensure that all the items have been provided in the package. It is vital to follow the safety precautions before and during the installation.
Be careful to remember that the equipment should not be operated until the complete installation project is complete.