Construction is a complex process that uses natural materials like sand and clay and manufactured materials like cement. The quality of materials is an essential issue in construction because it may hamper the safety and comfort of people. Durability and strength are crucial things to remember. Cheap materials can also lead to the presence of termites. Moreover, you may need to renovate and repair your property frequently due to negligence while assuring the quality of materials. So quality checks must be taken very seriously. Additionally, you can also get eco-friendly construction materials to help the environment. In short, the quality of materials heavily dictates the direction in which the construction will take place.
The list of most common types of materials are-
1. Structural steel-The structural steel is famous for its versatility, cost-effectiveness, sustainability, and flexibility. Do you remember seeing very attractive and unusually shaped buildings? Structural steel was used to achieve that shape. These steels come in various forms, including I-beam, Z-Shape, HSS-Shape, angle, bar, rod, plate, and Joist. Additionally, structured steel is famous for its attributed compressive strength and tensile strength. Their non-combustible nature works as a cherry on the top of the cake.
- Concrete- Concrete, also commonly known as reinforced concrete, comprises steel. The principal use of concrete is information of structure and foundation of the construction site. They are found in concrete box culverts. It is free from any greenhouse gas emissions. The use of concrete is effective after it goes through the hydration process. The various types of concrete include Plain or Ordinary Concrete, Reinforced Concrete, Prestressed Concrete, Precast Concrete, Lightweight Concrete, High-Density Concrete, Air-Entrained Concrete, etc. The most crucial material information of concrete is Portland cement paste. Other materials, including fly ash and slag cement, may also be included as per the density requirement.
- Wood- Wood is the most anciently used natural and cost-effective material. The pros of using wood are endless. It may be due to longevity or highly environmentally sustainability, or even it’s aesthetically appealing, which makes it a favorite. It is a fibrous structural tissue that is extracted from plants and trees. It is also used to produce fuel, tools and weapons, furniture, and paper. It is available in multiple types, including Akasa Wood, Ash Wood, Balsa Wood, Bamboo Wood, Beech Wood, Brazilian Mahogany Wood, Cedar Wood, Celtic Wood, and many more.
- Bitumen-Bitumen is a material that is made using crude petroleum. To make it, crude petroleum is fractionally distilled. The material is known for its non-crystalline solid or viscous material properties. It is famously used for waterproofing stuff during construction. It is available in three types- slow setting (SS), medium setting (MS), and rapid setting (RS) in terms of time. They are also different types segregated in terms of property, including Penetration Grade Bitumen, Oxidized Bitumen Grades, Cut Back Bitumen, Bitumen Emulsion, and Polymer Modified Bitumen. This material is used for multiple purposes like the Constructions of roads, runways, platforms, Mastic floorings for factories, Tank foundations, etc.
- Thatch-It is a material made out of straw, water reed, sedge for dry vegetation, and this process is called thatching. The process is beneficial in tropical and temperate climates places. It is still prevalent due to its low-cost, ecological friendliness, etc. It is still the primary roofing element in countries like the United Kingdom, Germany, The Netherlands, and Denmark. They are naturally weather-resistant and give your place a rustic look. The readily available materials used for making thatch are also why people go for it.
The use of multiple Building Materials Wigan to construct something is what makes it successful. One material can never do everything. From framing to the foundation to the roof, endless materials are used as per their requirements. Cement can never do what steel does and vice versa. So you must choose the required materials for the required places. These materials give your property shape, aesthetics, protection, and style. Construction is now a multidimensional industry. Apart from our comfort and safety, we should also consider the environmental issues before choosing any material. Eco-friendly materials might be a little expensive comparatively, but they have substantial long-term benefits.