The love for fragrances and scents has been around for centuries. Some people associate religious sacredness with scents and others use it to meditate. Regardless of its use, aromas and incense always bring a sense of calm. There are many ways you can take advantage of this ancient practice. Keep on reading to know more.
What is Incense?
Incense is made up of natural ingredients that when burnt produce a pungent smoke, known to provide comfort and peace to the ones inhaling it.
What do you need to burn incense?
You will require the following equipment to use this age-old technique of tranquillity and therapy.
You can burn incense using incense burners with cones and even sticks. Not sure what that means?. We have got you covered. Following are the ways you can burn incense.
An incense burner is a vessel usually made with clay or bronze with intricate designs and used to burn incense in solid form. This dates back to the Indus civilization.
Censers were used in ancient Chinese, middle eastern, Hindu, and Christian cultures. In ancient times, incense burners were a luxury only possessed by the wealthy. However, with passing time, these burners became more widely available.
Benefits of using Incense
The reason why incense burners are widely used is because of the advantages they provide. They make it much easier to use incense sticks and cones. Most of these burners have visual appeal as well, making this experience all the more relaxing. They have various health and spiritual benefits. Some of these advantages are mentioned below.
- Helps in meditation: People usually burn incense before the start of each meditational session to cleanse the aura and create a calming atmosphere. Meditation requires a deep sense of calm, and the incense aroma aids in achieving that. Burning incense has become a ritual before meditation.
- Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy is a type of healing technique that focuses on both mental and physical aspects of alleviation. Incense is normally used for aromatherapy to relieve pain on both physical and psychological levels.
- Boosts Confidence: The aroma produced during burning incense creates positive energy and impacts your senses. The increased energy creates an influx of positive thoughts. You develop a more positive perspective about yourself, and your confidence skyrockets.
- Reduced mental stress: Incense is known to calm symptoms of anxiety and depression. Neurobiological research supports the idea that incense is psychoactive. This means that it produces chemicals in the brain that calm down the body and promote better mental health.
- Relieves Headaches: Inhaling aromas trigger our limbic system and are met with an immediate reaction. The right ingredients of the incense have better effects on headaches. Incense can relieve headaches and even cure migraines.
- Serotonin Enhancer: The fragrance from burnt incense activates the part of the brain that releases serotonin. This hormone plays a vital factor in stabilizing the body. It also functions to improve mood and overall health. Increased serotonin levels help with digestion, circulation, and sleep patterns.
Incense cones are triangular and consist of scented ingredients that give off an aroma when burnt. They were first made in Japan in the 1800s.
Incense waterfall cones have a stronger smell and it keeps on increasing as the cone burns.
Backflow incense cones have a visual appeal as the smoke cascades downwards. They also create a tranquil ambience and rejuvenate the space around you.
How to use incense cones?
Follow the instructions given below to efficiently use incense cones without safety hazards.
- Selecting The Incense Burner: when selecting the incense burner, make sure it has a lot of space. You will require a burner big enough to fit the cone.
- Layer the bottom of the burner: Burning incense cones creates a lot of heat and to reduce this, it is important to put sand or dry rice on the base of the burner.
- Lighting the cone: Place the cone in the burner and light the tip of the cone and let it burn.
- Extinguish the flame: After waiting for a few seconds, put out the flames and extinguish them. Thereupon, you will witness an amazing spectacle of smoke and scent with it.
- Cleaning the residue: Incense cones usually smoke residue on your walls but that can be easily cleaned with normal household products
Incense sticks are made of fragrant, biotic ingredients that release pungent smoke when burnt. Incense sticks are predominant in Asian cultures. The history of incense sticks goes back to 200 BCE in ancient China. They were used for religious worship. Burning these sticks symbolizes purity and sanctity.
How to use Incense sticks?
While burning incense sticks, you need to make sure you’re doing it right. Here is how you can do it:
- Suitable Location: Charring incense can cause smoke buildup. To avoid suffocation, make sure you light it in a well-ventilated room.
- Trimming the stick: Before placing it on the burner, make sure you trim the incense stick so that it fits.
- Burning it: Light the tip of the stick with a match or lighter and let it burn for a few seconds.
- Extinguish: Fan the flames out after 4-8 seconds. The incense stick should be glowing red with fragrant smoke.
Burning incense has been encouraged in many religions and cultures across the globe. It has medicinal as well as calming properties. It is also known to lead you to spiritual enlightenment.
To access all the advantages, it is important to get the right tools and products. It is also important to know how to use these tools efficiently. We have explained exactly how to get the best out of them.
Now that you know how incense burners work and how to use incense cones and sticks, it is time to try this for yourself. Are looking to kickstart your journey into mindfulness and healing?.
Shop from the wide variety of incense products at primary scents. With easy setup to easier use, primary scents products will make your incense journey convenient. Contact us now and place your orders right away!