Among the most important of all your household systems is your heating. In a city such as Winnipeg the cold season can be very cold indeed as we’re sure you know! Your home heating system is more than likely powered by a furnace. This is the simplest and most common method of domestic heating the region. As with all hard-working appliances a furnace will not last forever.
A furnace – depending on the type and age – may last somewhere between 15 and 20 years. With regular maintenance from a specialist company such as Furnace Repair – Lynns Hvac Winnipeg that could be extended to 30 years in some cases. What goes wrong with furnaces, and how do you know yours is performing as it should? Those are two of the questions we will be answering below. Let’s start by listing some things that go wrong with furnaces.
Why Do Furnaces Need Repairing?
As we said above how long furnaces last depends on the age and type, as well as the maintenance it has been subject to. If you have recently moved into a new house, it is a good idea to contact a local furnace expert and have them assess yours for possible problems and give it a service. So, what goes wrong? The following are the five most common faults with furnaces:
- Every furnace has a blower belt which is simply a rubber belt that connects the motor to the blower and drives the blower. This will deteriorate or stretch over time. Sometimes the belt simply needs tightening, but it will need replacing if too to worn or snapped. This is not a big job and will cost very little.
- The limit switch is an essential part of the furnace that tells the system when to blow warm air to the ducts. It is designed to keep the room heated as programmed. If the limit switch stops working the blower will run continuously. This needs attending to as quickly as possible to prevent further and more expensive damage.
- If your furnace is constantly turning on and off more frequently than it should be this a problem known as short cycling and can be troublesome. It is usually repaired by fixing or fitting a new thermostat or replacing blocked air filters, and should be attended to quickly by the experts.
- Within the furnace are a number of bearings that allow the mechanisms to operate smoothly. These will wear down and need replacing over time. You can tell if the bearings are worn as you will hear an unusual scraping sound that you have not heard before and may notice impaired performance. This is one fault that requires urgent attention as continued use of worn bearings will quickly damage other parts and lead to expensive repairs.
- The most dangerous fault that can occur with furnaces is when the heat exchanger becomes cracked or damaged. This is a series of tubes and coils containing refrigerant gases that may be dangerous if the leak. The heat exchanger is an expensive part, so you must make sure your regular maintenance covers this vital component.
Should My Furnace be Replaced?
Knowing whether to repair or replace a furnace is a job for an expert. If you notice any of the problems above or are not sure when your furnace was last examined, we recommend you talk to a local furnace maintenance service provide and have it inspected as soon as possible. They will repair or replace where necessary and also help you set up a regular maintenance and service program.