Are you ready for the outdoor season and want to spruce up your patio or yard? Then Wickerpark’s lineup of decor is the perfect choice for you. There are several benefits to using wicker and plastic furniture, but some owners may not be aware of the care requirements for these types of products.
To make it simple, we'll cover the features of each type of patio furniture and how to properly care for them so you can make a decision on which one to go with this summer.
Wicker garden furniture
Garden furniture made of wicker is the best of most worlds - it’s sturdy, fashionable, easy to move around, and is undoubtedly a great addition to any outdoor area. They also have a natural appearance that blends in wonderfully with the natural aesthetic of a backyard garden or patio area.
How do I care for wooden garden furniture?
The main advantage of wicker furniture is that it's very durable and more lightweight than hardwood options. Still, in their function as outdoor furniture, they get exposed to all kinds of weather conditions, and should therefore be cleaned and cared for regularly so that you can enjoy your outdoor patio for many seasons.
Note that over time, excessive moisture can build up and seek within the grooves of wicker furniture, which provides an ideal surface for mildew to build up and grow. To avoid this and also maintain the glow of your wicker furniture, here are a few useful tips for care.
- To clean, you only need to wipe your wooden garden furniture with a clean , damp cloth (alternatively, with a mild soapy solution and a soft sponge). You can also consider vacuuming or using a brush to clean off the wicker surfaces if there isn’t much dirt or debris covering it.
- If you want to preserve the wood’s colors, you can protect it with a special care oils, such as linseed and lemon oil, at the beginning and end of the outdoor season. While worn-out wicker doesn’t detract from its quality, it no longer looks as nice as it did when you first bought it.
- When applying the oil, it is important that you remove dirt and dust from the wood beforehand and only apply the oil in a thin layer. Don’t overdo it or it’ll just make it easier for dirt to settle on after you’re done.
- If the wood still feels oily before using it for the first time or after it has been oiled, let the furniture have more time to dry out properly.
- Some wicker garden furniture are sensitive to moisture and weather conditions, so it’s best to store them under a roof, in a shed, or under a protective cover over the winter. However, Wickerpark’s furniture is made for all-weather use and can be left out in the rain without much issue, which can save you a lot of time and hassle.
Plastic garden furniture
High-quality garden furniture made of plastic has long since shed its preconceptions, and has proven to be a comparatively inexpensive and chic solution for your outdoor area. Plastic garden furniture is usually more practical for smaller gardens and patios, because they’re sometimes stackable or foldable, which makes them easy to put away when you need more room.
How do I care for plastic furniture?
In addition, plastic is considered a very weather-resistant and easy-to-maintain material. However, it’s still something that should be cleaned from time to time, especially due to effects of prolonged sunlight or dust buildup. Here are a few tips for cleaning plastic:
- In most cases, a cloth with soap and water or a mild detergent is sufficient for cleaning (even with mold, just water is often enough). If you’d like, you can also replace the cloth with a soft brush.
- To prevent long-term stains, wipe off unwanted spills immediately with a damp cloth.
- Although plastic is very weather-resistant, incorrect storage in winter or if the furniture is exposed to extremely high levels of moisture can result in mold or mildew growth. Therefore, it’s a good idea during the winter to cover your furniture under a breathable protective cover.
- In the case of heavy soiling, don’t use scouring agents like harsh chemicals or abrasive clothes and brushes under any circumstances. Your furniture will be very clean afterwards, but the process will scratch the plastic surface and make it easier for further dirt and stains to accumulate. Instead of these, you can consider using mild or vinegar-based cleaners instead.
- Plastic furniture can be sensitive to extreme heat, so it is better not to place hot objects such as grills, pots, etc. on the table or armrest and always use a coaster.
By following these recommendations, you can keep your Wickerpark furniture looking fantastic all summer long!