Are you looking for an incredible way to transform your game room? Game rooms are excellent spaces to entertain guests, host parties, and relax after a long day. To make a big impact in your game room, it’s important to look at game room furniture that’ll add to the space.
Having a cohesive, well-planned idea is the best route to making the ultimate game room. We’ll discuss themes and 6 top design ideas for your space. With a little focus and time, you will be ready to entertain your friends.
6 Ideas to Transform Your Game Room
We’ve compiled 6 ways to enhance your game room.
1. Follow a theme
There’s no better way to take your space to the next level than following a theme. There are many themes to consider. By having a consistent theme throughout the room, it will look better planned and put together.
To create a theme, you’ll want to coordinate your furniture, lighting, and decor. Be strategic with all of your purchases. Find unique trinkets and wall hangings to add to the experience. Consider the ambiance of the room and how it makes you feel. Choose a theme that represents your interest or style.
Some of our favorite themes are:
Everybody loves a good night out in Vegas. If you’re going to have a poker table in your game room, this theme is great. To add to the ambiance, focus on lighting and color.
Imagine the unique colors in the casinos in Las Vegas. Most frequently, this includes orange and gold. However, if you want to go for an elevated, Monte Carlo look, opt for red, black, and white. Monte Carlo is a little elevated and black tie. Therefore, you can get creative with the decor and glamorize it.
For sports lovers, hockey night is an exciting time. To achieve this, pull on sports as your main focus. This might include framed jerseys on the wall. You can include other sports memorabilia. Adding an air hockey table is a great way to include entertainment and fun in the space.
You’ll also want television to watch the game on. Consider following the color scheme of your favorite team. For example, if you love the Vancouver Canucks, use shades of blue, silver, and white.
This theme isn’t as clear as the other ones. However, the men in your life will love it. Create a space that speaks to the boys. This will include rough-and-tumble features. Consider adding a traditional brick wall. Accent with wood and industrial-style decor. Include lots of seating for hosting guests.
Arcades were all the rage back in the day! It was a relaxing place for kids and teens to go. Consider bringing the old-style arcade to your game room. To master this, you’ll need the activities to complement it. Look for games and other fun products to add.
To really style an arcade theme, you’ll want to focus on lighting. Include vibrant, neon lights wherever you can. This can include neon signs and colored LED lighting along with the room. Dim the overhead lights.
Furthermore, play with the flooring. Lean into the 90s experience with different colors and textures.
There’s nothing like an old watering hole! Transform your games room into a vintage lounge or retro bar. To do this, focus on the wet bar in the area. Make sure to have a stocked mini-fridge and good barstools around the seating.
You may consider using brick sparingly throughout the room. Add bistro-style tables with seating and pull on colors of red. Shop thrift stores for vintage decor. Imagine hosting a night out in the 50s. This is the perfect way to welcome guests in a laid-back manner.
Do you foresee yourself enjoying a games room with your family most often? Transform it into a family-style room. To do this, include plenty of seating around an entertainment center. It’s likely that your family will enjoy a good movie together here.
Accent with family pictures and memories around the room. Make the space extra cozy. Include knitted blankets and neutral colors for a quiet night in.
One of the most important aspects of a game room is the games included in it! After all, you want to entertain your guests. A good games room will have multiple different games. However, some of the most popular include:
- Poker. For talented poker players out there, a poker table is a great option. It’s a great way to kick back and relax after a long week. Consider keeping cheap sunglasses there to add to everyone’s poker face.
- Foosball. Foosball is popular, and for good reason. This is a game that’s perfect for all ages.
- Arcade Games: Track down traditional arcade games. Some excellent options are pinball, Pac-Man, Frogger, Pong, Space Invaders, and more. Of course, this will be an investment. However, it’ll keep your guests having fun for ages. Another great game is arcade basketball, where visitors can brush up on their scoring technique.
- Pool table. Billiards is a popular game - and for good reason. Though it requires a good amount of skill, it’s an excellent way to kill time. Work on shooting that 8 ball with your closest friends and family.
- Air hockey. This is also a game that is fun for all ages! Air hockey can get competitive, but it’s so much fun. Air hockey tables are often less expensive than pool tables and other games. It’s also an excellent addition to a hockey-themed room.
Games are a great way to connect with friends and family. They will let out the inner child and competitive side.
3. Feature wall
Feature walls are a great addition to any room in the house. However, dedicating a wall to a feature wall in your game room will add to the ambiance. It will also pull on the theme. Get creative with different feature wall ideas and make the most of it.
- Brick. Brick will never go out of style! Though we love traditional brick, you can opt for white brick as well. You can have actual brick installed, or there are faux brick wallpapers to consider. Actual brick is a lot of money to have completed. However, it depends on your budget and needs. Brick is a great option for vintage and man cave themes.
- Murals. Are you looking for a fun way to bring in artwork? Consider a mural! You can purchase decals for cheaper, or hire an artist to paint a mural for you. This way you can completely customize it. Choose a mural that accents your theme. For example, if your theme is hockey night, paint a mural of a game or your favorite athlete.
- Paint. For a budget-friendly option, get creative with paint. You can simply paint one wall a moody or edgy color. Then, add decor to make it pop.
- Shiplap. Shiplap has been all of the rage the last few years. It adds to a homey, farmhouse feeling in any room. Shiplap is often white, but you can paint it whatever color you want. It’ll draw attention to the wall and is quite easy to install.
4. Play with lighting
Lighting is an important aspect of any room. It sets the mood and transforms the space. Some top ideas for playing with lighting include:
- LED lighting. LED strip lighting has gained popularity in the last year. You can run it along the edges of your room to illuminate the outside. You can also change the color of the lights. If you want a fun, playful space, LED lighting is an excellent option.
- Light as art. There are fun ways to incorporate light as art! Neon signs are extremely popular now. You can get them to say or look like just about everything. Neon signs are great for old-style lounge, arcade, or hockey night themes. You can also opt for a pretty light arrangement to hang on the wall for an elevated look.
- Use pendants. Pendants have more use than over your kitchen island. Use pendants over the bar for dim, targeted lighting. Pendants are classy and a nice way to add additional lighting.
- Entertainment stand lighting. Nobody wants bright lights on movie nights. Consider installing dim lighting to the entertainment stand to illuminate the television. This will keep the lighting minimal while adding to the experience.
- Add lamps. Floor lighting is overlooked! Lamps are a great way to add character without overwhelming the space. Look for a lamp that fits your theme and prop it where you need a little extra light.
5. Add a bar
For adults, having a bar in a game room is essential. It is a great place for people to gather and catch up. It also is functional depending on what you include. When hosting, add bowls of chips and appetizers to the bar for people to snack on. Some important components of a fully-functioning bar include:
- Mini fridge. Whether you’re a beer drinker, or just like to stay hydrated, a mini-fridge is a must. Stock your mini-fridge with different drinks to keep guests coming back.
- Shaker and/or bar tool set. If you appreciate cocktails, invest in a nice shaker cup or bar tool set. This will elevate any cocktail you make. Furthermore, it works as great decor. A full bar tool set will include a shaker, wine opener, liquor stopper, spoon, and strainer.
- Glassware. Include different styles of glassware to offer to your guests. This should include wine glasses, water glasses, and even cocktail glasses. This will make sure you’re prepared for any type of drink.
- Ice machine or molds. Ice is an important part of any beverage. Make sure to have plenty of ice on hand. If you can invest, purchase a countertop ice maker. These make ice perfect every time. Otherwise, ice molds in the freezer will work just as well.
- Sink. With entertaining comes dishes! Having a sink to clean up messes and wash dishes as you go will save time and effort.
- Barstools. It isn’t a bar without adequate seating. Look for comfortable, functional bar stools. Place them around the bar for people to sit and mingle.
6. Big screen
Whether you want to watch the game with friends or have movie nights with the family, you’ll want a big screen. This can either be a television or a projector. Work within your budget and find an option that works well within the space. Some things that you’ll want to add to complement the screen include:
- Comfortable seating. Don’t forget to add great seating around the television. Let people put their feet up! Consider investing in bean bag chairs, a sectional, or other seating that’s welcoming and comfortable. Seating is always a worthwhile investment that makes a big impact.
- Gaming consoles. Do you know anyone that loves video games? Include a gaming console for guests to catch up on their game time.
- Entertainment stand. A big screen will be best complemented with an entertainment stand. This will help hide wires and provide a safe place for storage.
- Blankets and pillows. Make the area extra inviting with knit throws and comfortable throw pillows. This will draw on your theme and add extra comfort for your guests. To display blankets, include a blanket ladder. Otherwise, you can store them in a bin or the entertainment stand when not in use.
Do you feel excited and ready to transform your game room? By choosing excellent game room furniture, games, and lighting, you can make the perfect space for entertaining. Keep the snacks flowing and lean on a theme. A theme is a perfect way to make the space cohesive and comfortable. When designing, get creative and try new things for a perfect space.
Transforming your game room might be an investment, but you’ll spend a lot of time there. It’s the perfect place to spend time with family and friends. You’ll make memories that are important and lasting with everyone you love!
Leave a Reply