Most people would love to have a backyard oasis, but they don't know where to start. The good news is that it's not as hard as you might think to create a backyard paradise, even on a budget. All you need are some basic supplies and a little bit of imagination. As well, you should know of a good builder or landscaper, like those at CornerStone Wall Solutions, to help improve the overall design of your home, regardless of whether it is at the back or front.
One easy way to enhance a backward is to use stones that can be ordered and constructed into a feature using a professional contractor. They come in all shapes and sizes, and they can be used to create everything from pathways to ponds. Here are just a few ideas:
- Build a wall to add some privacy and a pleasing look to your backyard.
- Use stones to create a path from your back door to your garden. This will define the space and make it feel more inviting.
- Use different types of stones to create interesting patterns in your garden beds.
- Use larger stones as borders for your garden beds. This will give them a clean, finished look.
- Use stones to build a small pond or water feature. This will add interest and wildlife to your backyard.
What Can Stones Achieve?
If you have a lot of stones, you can use them to create a garden wall as opposed to a small feature. This can add varying amounts of privacy to your backyard. It can add security to a property to have a stone wall of an allowable height that considers planning permissions. Using different colored stones might add extra appeal. At the very least, it can create a rustic feel and bring you further in touch with nature, depending on the type of stone chosen.
Different Types of Stones
When it comes to improving your backyard, adding stones is a popular way of doing so and one of the worthwhile exterior home improvements to consider. There are all sorts of different ways that you can use stones to enhance your outdoor space, and they can be a real focal point in the area. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Cornerstones: One great way to use stones in your backyard is as cornerstones. You can use them to create defined spaces in your yard or to separate different areas from one another. This can be an excellent way to create a nice complete look in your backyard, and it's a relatively easy project to do.
- Pathways: A well-defined pathway can add a lot of interest to your backyard. You can use stones to create a path that winds through your garden, or that leads from your house to the backyard. This is a great way to add some functionality to your yard, as well as add some visual interest.
- Rock Walls: A rock wall is a perfect way to add some height and interest to your backyard. You can use them to create raised beds, or simply as an aesthetic feature in the area. Rock walls are also a nice way to incorporate some natural elements into your garden.
Typical Materials Used in Stone Projects
- Flagstone: This is a type of sedimentary rock that is very popular for use in landscaping projects. It is a durable and weather-resistant option that comes in a variety of colors and sizes.
- Brick: Brick is another popular option for backyard stone projects. It is a versatile material that can be used for a variety of different applications, including pathways, walls, and even patio pavers.
- Concrete: Concrete is a favored choice for backyards because it is very affordable and easy to work with. It is also suitable for a range of projects.
- Bluestone, Limestone, and Sandstone: These are all types of sedimentary rock that have become very popular for use in landscaping projects. They are resistant to the elements and come in a variety of shades.
- Granite: Granite is a type of igneous rock that is often used in landscaping. It is also durable and resistant to all kinds of weather.
- Pebbles: Pebbles are small, smooth stones that are frequently used in backyards. They are available in a variety of colors and sizes and can be used in different ways.
- River Rocks: River rocks are larger stones that are often used in landscaping projects.
These are just a few ideas for using stones to improve your backyard. As you can see, there are a variety of different materials that you can use for your backyard stone projects. The type of material that you choose will depend on the look that you are going for, as well as the budget that you have available to work with. No matter what type of stone you choose, though, adding stones to your backyard can be a great way to improve the appearance and feel of the space. Always work with professionals who are used to working with your chosen stone.