Exterior home renovation can be a challenging task especially if you haven't done it before. Most of the time, families hire contractors to help them. In this article, we'll talk about what you should keep in mind when initiating an exterior renovation project and how to choose the right teams to help you. Read on!
What is Exterior Renovation?
An exterior renovation is the process of repairing, replacing, or updating the outside of your home. This can include anything from a fresh coat of paint to the brand-new siding.
It's important to keep your home's exterior in good condition not only for aesthetic reasons but also because it protects your house from the elements.
Types of Exterior Renovation Projects
There are many different types of exterior home improvement projects that you can undertake. Some common ones include:
- Siding Replacement
- Window Replacement or Repair
- Gutter Cleaning or Replacement
- Porch or Deck Repair/Replacement
Things to Keep in Mind During Exterior Renovation Projects
There are a few things that you should keep in mind during your exterior renovation project, such as:
- Budget: It's important to set a budget for your project and then stick to it. This will help you avoid overspending and getting in over your head.
- Permits: Depending on the type of work you're doing, you may need to get permits from your city or county. Be sure to check into this before starting any work.
- HOA Approval: If you live in a neighborhood with a homeowners' association, you may need to get approval for any changes you make to the exterior of your home.
- Contractor: Unless you're experienced in home improvement, it's likely that you'll need to hire a contractor to help with your project. Be sure to do your research and choose someone who is reputable and has experience with the type of work you're doing. Trillium Construction Group is a good place to start.
How to Choose a Contractor
If you've decided that you need to hire a contractor to help with your exterior home renovation, there are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing one:
- Get recommendations: Ask friends or family members if they have any recommendations for contractors. You can also check online review sites.
- Check credentials: Make sure that the contractor you're considering is properly licensed and insured.
- Get estimates: Get several estimates from different contractors before making your final decision. Be sure to compare not only the price but also the timeline and scope of work.
- Ask questions: Don't be afraid to ask the contractor questions about their experience, the project, and how they would handle any potential problems.
What to Avoid in Hiring a Home Renovation Contractor
There are a few things that you should avoid when hiring a contractor for your exterior home renovation, such as:
- Hiring someone without checking their credentials: As we mentioned before, be sure to check that the contractor you're considering is properly licensed and insured.
- Paying upfront: You should never pay the full amount for the project upfront. A common practice is to pay a deposit, which is typically around 10% of the total cost, and then pay the rest once the job is completed.
- Signing a blank contract: Be sure to read over the contract carefully before you sign it. Don't sign a blank contract or one with any blanks that need to be filled in.
- Hiring someone who is not willing to give you an estimate: A reputable contractor should be able to give you an estimate for the project. If they're not, that's a red flag.