You should always check the VIN of a used vehicle before buying it, regardless of whether you're buying it from a dealer or a private party. A VIN check can prevent you from losing thousands of dollars on unnecessary repairs and maintenance.
VIN is located in several places, including the dashboard in the front windshield, the driver's side doorframe, the engine block, and the title and registration documents.
VIN is a fingerprint with all the information about the vehicle, from the year it was made to the options and equipment it came with. State, federal, and commercial agencies use it to maintain tabs on a vehicle over its lifetime.
Fortunately, there are a plethora of VIN Lookup tools. However, this article details the top five VIN lookup tools available today.
VINNumberLookup is a comprehensive and efficiently designed VIN check service with a user-friendly interface that enables you to look up VIN number online for free for all makes and models of vehicles, including cars, trucks, vans, RVs, and motorcycles. It provides basic VIN checks and license plate lookups that access public and private records for updated vehicle information.
The VIN lookup service is offered at no cost, and you can run a VIN check based on the vehicle's make, state, and type. All the information you need is readily available and free.
To use the service, simply enter the VIN of the vehicle on the main page, and in seconds you will receive a detailed history report containing information such as the make, model, production year, body type, manufacturer, transmission, engine type, and more.
VINNumberLookup's complete vehicle history report gives you valuable insight into the car you're interested in purchasing, including information about any accidents, junk, salvage, or insurance records.
- Salvage title
- Safety recalls
- Any accidents
- Maintenance history
The website offers a guide on manually reading VINs, which can be found by scrolling down the page and accessing a list of supported manufacturers. This resource is helpful for those who need to decode a specific or older-style VIN number manually. Also, the VINNumberLookup license plate search can help you uncover important car details, find out more here.
- VIN check remains private and secure
- Completely free VIN lookup services.
- You’ll access relevant and up-to-date vehicle information
- Offer users access to legitimate and credible vehicle records source
- Straightforward VIN check services
- They are relatively new to the market
- Their services are only limited to vehicles registered in the United States
VinPit is a free service that enables you to determine if a car has been reported as stolen or salvaged by an insurance company. Utilizing advanced and powerful tools, they give you access to the National Vehicle Title Information System and other record sources to
- Uncover unreported damages or accidents,
- Confirm the car's ownership
- View reported odometer readings
- Check documented photos
- Review warranty information
- Asses security ratings
- Vehicle specs, including engine codes, parts details, car market value, fuel efficiency, etc
- Learn about vehicle maintenance recalls
Using VinPit to check your car's VIN is free of charge and is especially recommended if you're buying from a small dealership or private seller. You can also perform a license plate lookup for the best results. It's a quick and simple 2-minute check that's well worth it.
- VinPit has a large, accurate database that integrates information from multiple public records, providing users with up-to-date vehicle information.
- The user interface is easy to navigate.
- VinPit includes photos of cars taken at different times during their life, allowing users to see the actual condition of a vehicle.
- Offer multiple ways to check your VIN.
- The free VinPit vehicle history report service is comprehensive and easy to understand.
- Although VinPit offers a free, comprehensive version, it often divides data into paid reports, requiring users to pay for complete information.
VINCheckFree provides free VIN and license plate checks, giving you peace of mind when purchasing a used car. With a commitment to accessible vehicle history reports, VinCheckFree uses the latest technology to protect you from fraud and unsafe vehicles and prevent the resale of stolen cars.
Most of its features, such as free VIN reports, VIN decoder by state, and VIN decoder by make, are completely free and don't require any sign-up. Simply enter the VIN on the search bar to receive a complete history report of the car, including information on salvage, theft, sales, mileage, accidents, and more. You'll also receive an estimate of the car's market value based on its history.
VINCheckFree's database covers most U.S. used vehicles, and the data comes from trustworthy sources such as service stations, police records, and insurance companies. Checking a car with VinCheckFree can increase your chances of a successful car purchase.
- The site is user-friendly
- Offers VIN decoder for nearly all vehicle manufacturers worldwide
- Offers VIN checks for vehicles in all states in the U.S.
- Free VIN lookup tool
- Detailed and comprehensive website
- It does not guarantee 100% accuracy
- Only use publicly available vehicle records.
CARFAX is the perfect choice for anyone in search of a used car. It offers the ability to search among millions of vehicles and find the one that best fits your needs for a fee. The VIN check tool provides valuable information about any car, including its value, and allows you to save vehicles for future reference and comparison.
CARFAX's database is updated regularly with data from over 100,000 unique sources, including DMVs, insurance companies, police departments, and auction houses. It provides a complete, accurate, reliable report on a car's past, revealing potential issues.
While the more detailed reports come at a cost, CarFax offers free basic VIN reports for used cars. These reports provide information on the car's general condition, including accident or damaged records and maintenance history. The information includes technical specifications, additional equipment, ownership and operational history, and the latest odometer readings. This data allows you to verify the car's claimed mileage, ensuring it matches the actual mileage.
- Reports contain a wealth of information
- Extremely reliable vehicle reports
- The ability to search for vehicle details using a license plate
- CARFAX also buys cars
- Over 100,000 data sources
- Long history in the car industry and reliable reputation
- Accessible through a mobile app
- Has one of the most expensive reports
AutoCheck goes beyond standard VIN lookup tools by providing highly accurate VIN results and giving you a quick overview of a vehicle's make, model, and year. It compiles a comprehensive report using various government, insurance, and internal data sources.
One-time reports can be purchased without a subscription plan, making it a cost-effective option for those who don't use the site frequently. The AutoCheck report includes information on a vehicle's mileage, ownership history, brand, emission testing, accident history, theft record, leasing, and more.
Established over a decade ago, AutoCheck can track information on used cars in the US and Canada. Its unique selling point is its automated comparison system that helps you evaluate similar vehicles and make informed buying decisions. AutoCheck recalculates its score each time a report is requested.
- Reliable data from multiple sources
- User-friendly interface
- Ideal for comparing vehicles
- Affordable pricing for various reports
- Pricey single reports
- No maintenance history included
Is It Safe To Give Someone Your Vehicle VIN Number?
Giving your vehicle's VIN to someone is generally safe, as your personal information is not directly linked to it. The VIN only reveals the vehicle's history, so you can feel confident that the person checking it will only see that information.
Are VIN Checks Reliable?
VIN checks are reliable as they access information directly from credible sources. Many VIN decoders offer this information without requiring personal information, making them a secure and trustworthy option.
Why Is My VIN Not 17 Digits?
It is important to note that before 1981, there was no standard for VINs. As a result, if you own a vintage car manufactured before 1981, its VIN code may be between 11 and 17 digits long.
Arm yourself with the power of knowledge to avoid potential used car pitfalls by using these top 5 VIN lookup tools. Make smart, informed decisions when purchasing a used car and avoid the risks of buying someone else's problem. VINNumberLookup is an effective solution to check the history of any vehicle registered in the USA by providing you with the necessary information. With its easy-to-use platform, you can simplify the verification process and get a consolidated vehicle history report in one place—Trust VINNumberLookup to help you get the facts.
Leave a Reply