When you need to buy a forklift, it can be tempting to just go out and get the cheapest one you can find—but this is rarely the right approach. Used forklifts are much cheaper than new ones, but they often come with higher maintenance costs, increased safety concerns, and will not last as long as they should.
It’s vital that you make sure to choose the right used forklift for your business—and we’ve put together some tips on how to do just that!
The Benefits of Owning A Forklift
A forklift is an essential piece of equipment for many businesses, especially those in the construction, warehousing, and manufacturing industries.
Forklifts can help with many tasks including loading or unloading trucks or moving heavy loads around a warehouse.
Questions To Ask Yourself
Before you start scouring the internet for used forklifts near me, there are a few questions you should ask yourself first.
- How often will the forklift be used?
- What type of terrain will it be used on?
- What is the maximum weight it will need to lift?
- How tall does it need to be?
Answering these questions can help you narrow down your search and find the perfect used forklift for your business.
What to Look For When Buying a Used Forklift
A used forklift can be a great option for those with less money in their budget, but it is important to not overlook all of the potential pitfalls before jumping into a purchase. If you decide on purchasing a used forklift from a company or dealer, ask them questions about the maintenance history and ask for any records of repairs and service done on the machine. Inspect both sides of every panel looking for cracks or leaks. And, check if any components have been replaced or added onto in an attempt to fix problems without dealing with what's really wrong with it.
Here are 7 things to consider when buying a forklift:
- Decide what type of forklift you need. There are three main types: electric, diesel, and gas.
- Consider how much weight the forklift will need to lift.
- Take into account the height of the tallest shelves in your warehouse.
- Factor in how often you'll be using the forklift.
- Decide whether you want a sit-down or stand-up model.
- Think about any special features that you might need, such as a side shifter or a Boom attachment.
- Make sure to test drive the forklift before you make your purchase!
In addition to these tips above, it is also important to look into the maintenance history of the lift, the overall cost of the lift, and its age. Maintenance records can help indicate which parts might wear out soon and can prevent costly repairs in the future.
The right used forklift can last decades with regular maintenance.
To Sum It All Up
In conclusion, it is important to remember that used forklifts are a significant investment. You should make sure you know exactly what you want before going out and buying one.
Have a question that wasn't answered above? Reach out to Aerial Titans today!