If you want to add more space to your home without breaking the bank, you might want to consider installing glass balustrades.
Glass balustrades are transparent barriers that can be used for staircases, balconies, terraces, pool surrounds, and more. They create a sense of openness and lightness, making your home look bigger and brighter.
Glass balustrades also offer many benefits, such as safety, durability, easy maintenance, and versatility.
In this blog post, we will share some renovation tips and tricks on using glass balustrades to add more space to your home.
Why Choose Glass Balustrades for Swimming Pool Fences?
One of the most popular applications of glass balustrades is for swimming pool fences.
If you have a pool in your backyard, you know how important it is to have a fence that meets safety standards and regulations.
The problem with traditional fences is that they can block your view and make your pool area look smaller and darker.
That’s where glass balustrades come in handy. Glass balustrades for swimming pool fences offer many benefits, such as:
- They create a seamless and elegant look that blends with the surroundings.
- They also create a sleek and modern look that enhances the aesthetic appeal of your home.
- They allow you to enjoy the view of your pool and garden from any angle.
- They prevent children and pets from accessing the pool area without supervision.
- They reduce the noise and wind that can affect your pool water quality.
- They are easy to clean and maintain. You only need some water and mild detergent to wipe away any dirt or stains. You can also use a squeegee or a microfiber cloth to dry the glass and prevent water spots.
- Glass balustrades also resist corrosion, rust, mold, and mildew.
If you’re looking for a reliable and professional company that can install glass balustrades for swimming pool fences in your home, we recommend ALS Glass Works. They are a reputable company specializing in glass balustrades, pool fencing, shower screens, splashbacks, mirrors, and more.
They have over 20 years of experience in residential and commercial projects. They offer high-quality products and services at affordable prices.
How to Use Glass Balustrades for Staircases?
Another great way to use glass balustrades is for staircases.
Staircases are often overlooked for home renovation, but they can make a huge difference in your home's overall look and feel.
Staircases are functional and decorative elements that can showcase your style and personality.
Glass balustrades for staircases can help create a stunning focal point in your home. They can also make your staircase feel more spacious and brighter by letting natural light in.
Here are some tips on how to use glass balustrades for staircases:
Choose the Right Type of Glass for Your Staircase
Glass balustrades can be used for both straight and curved staircases, as well as for different types of balconies such as Juliet balconies, French balconies, or wrap-around balconies.
You can choose from different types of glass, such as clear, tinted, frosted, or patterned, to suit your budget, preference, and style.
Choose the Right Type of Frame for Your Glass Balustrade
Glass balustrades come in three types: framed, semi-framed, and frameless.
- Framed ones have metal frames around the glass and are strong and stable. They block some light and view and are good for outdoor areas.
- Semi-framed ones have thinner or fewer frames and are less bulky and more elegant. As a result, they allow more light and view and are good for indoor areas.
- Frameless ones have no frames or posts and are modern and minimalist. They offer the best light and view but need more care and skill to install and maintain.
Customize Your Glass Balustrade
You can customize your glass balustrade with different shapes, sizes, colors, and finishes.
You can also add accessories or features to enhance your glass balustrades, such as LED lights, handrails, or decorative elements.
How to Use Glass Balustrades for Balconies and Terraces?
If you have a balcony or terrace in your home, you can use glass balustrades to make it more inviting and comfortable.
Balconies and terraces are great places to relax and enjoy the outdoors, but they can also feel cramped and dark if they have solid walls or railings.
Glass balustrades can help you open up your balcony or terrace, making it feel more spacious and airier.
They can also provide you with a better view of the scenery and increase the value of your home.
Here are some tips on how to use glass balustrades for balconies and terraces:
Choose the Height for Your Glass Balustrades
The height of your glass balustrades should comply with your area's building codes and regulations.
Generally, the minimum height for indoor glass balustrades is 900 mm (35 inches), while the minimum height for outdoor glass balustrades is 1000 mm (39 inches).
These may vary depending on the slope of your stairs or balcony.
You should also consider the height of your home furniture and appliances when choosing the height of your glass balustrades.
Choose the Right Style for Your Glass Balustrade
You can choose from different styles of glass balustrades, such as curved, straight, or angled.
You can also mix and match different types of glass and frames to create a unique and personalized look.
For example, you can use clear glass with a frameless design for a modern and minimalist look or frosted glass with a framed design for a cozier and more private look.
Choose the Right Accessories for Your Glass Balustrade
You can add accessories to your glass balustrade to make it more functional and attractive.
You can add some plants, flowers, or herbs to your glass balustrade to create a natural and fresh vibe.
You can also add some cushions, chairs, or tables to your glass balustrade to create a comfortable and cozy seating area.
Hire a Professional Installer for Your Glass Balustrades
Installing glass balustrades is not a DIY project that you can do by yourself (for newbies).
It requires special tools, skills, and experience to install your glass balustrades correctly and safely.
You should hire a professional installer who has:
- A license and insurance to perform glass balustrade installation in your area.
- A portfolio and references of previous glass balustrade projects that they have completed successfully.
- A written quote and contract that clearly states the scope, cost, and timeline of the installation.
- A guarantee and warranty for the quality and durability of the glass balustrades and the installation.
You should also communicate with your installer throughout the installation process and inspect the final result before making the final payment.
You should check for any defects, damage, or misalignments in your glass balustrades and report them to your installer immediately.
Some Tips and Tricks for Installing Glass Balustrades (If You Want to DIY)
Though it’s always beneficial to hire professionals for any home renovation projects, installing glass balustrades can be a DIY project if you have good skills and tools, and experience doing glass projects.
Here are some things you need to know before installing glass balustrades:
- Measure your space carefully before ordering your glass panels. You want to ensure they fit perfectly and leave enough gaps for expansion and contraction due to temperature changes. The recommended gap size is 5 mm (0.2 inches) for indoor glass balustrades and 10 mm (0.4 inches) for outdoor glass balustrades.
- The thicker the glass panel, the stronger and safer it is. However, thicker glass panels also cost more and weigh more. The standard thickness for framed or semi-framed glass panels is 10 mm (0.4 inches), while the standard thickness for frameless glass panels is 12 mm (0.5 inches).
- Choose the right type of glass for your project. For example, if you install glass balustrades for pool fences, you must use tempered glass that meets the pool code requirements.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on installing the glass panels, clamps, spigots, or channels. Use the right tools and materials, such as drill bits, screws, silicone sealant, etc.
- Check the level and alignment of your glass panels before putting them in place. Use a spirit level or a laser level to ensure accuracy.
- You should inspect your glass balustrades annually for cracks, chips, or loose fittings. You should also check the condition of the metal frames, clamps, or spigots that hold your glass balustrades.
The Installation Process of Glass Balustrades
The installation process of glass balustrades will depend on the project's type, size, and location.
However, some general steps are:
- Measure and mark the area where you want to install the glass balustrades. Make sure you have enough space for the posts, handrails, and gaps between the panels.
- Drill holes for the posts or glazing channels according to the instructions provided by the manufacturer or supplier. Use a level and a tape measure to ensure accuracy and alignment.
- Insert the posts or glazing channels into the holes and secure them with bolts or screws. Make sure they are stable and sturdy before proceeding to the next step.
- Place the glass panels into the posts or glazing channels and adjust them to fit snugly. Use rubber gaskets or clamps to hold them in place. Make sure there are no gaps larger than 100 mm between the panels or between the panels and the floor.
- Attach the handrails to the posts or glazing channels if applicable. Use screws or brackets to fasten them securely. Make sure they are at least 1100 mm high from the floor.
We hope you enjoyed this blog post and learned something new about glass balustrades.
If you did, please share it with your friends and family who might be interested in renovating their homes with glass balustrades.
Thank you for reading, and happy renovation!
Leave a Reply