As online education has gained popularity, questions concerning the validity of online assessments have surfaced. To solve this problem, educational institutions are using online proctoring, which involves watching students take exams to make sure they aren't cheating. We shall examine what online proctoring is, how it functions, and its benefits and drawbacks in this post.
Online Proctoring: What is it?
Online proctoring is a technique for keeping an eye on students throughout exams to make sure they aren't plying their trade. It records the student's actions during the test using video and audio technologies. The proctor can be anywhere in the globe because online proctoring is often done remotely. The proctor keeps track of the student's activity using software, which might highlight any questionable behaviour.
Types Of Online Proctoring:
There are many ways in which online proctoring is carried. However there are three basic types of proctoring which are Remote proctoring, automated proctoring, and recorded proctoring. We will be understanding about these three types in detail.
- Remote proctoring :This is a method in which a proctor who does live proctoring keeps watch as the student completes the test. The proctor can intervene if it looks that the student is cheating by using video and audio equipment to interact with them.
- Electronic Proctoring : Automated proctoring uses software to keep an eye on the student's behaviour during the exam. Any suspect activity, such glancing away from the screen for a lengthy period of time, might be flagged by the programme.
- Using recorded proctors : The student takes the test while being observed by video and audio equipment during recorded proctoring. A proctor later reviews the tape to assess whether the student was cheating.
How Does Proctoring Online Operate?
Utilising video and audio technologies, online proctoring keeps an eye on the student's performance during the exam. The proctor keeps track of the student's activity using software, which might highlight any questionable behaviour. If the student looks to be cheating, the proctor may step in. Through the use of technology, both the proctor and the student may speak with one other.
The proctor might also require the student to display their ID to establish that they are the person who is supposed to be taking the exam. In order to make sure that no one else is there who may assist the student in cheating, the proctor may additionally request that the student reveal the room they are in.
Advantages to online proctoring
- A greater sense of academic integrity : The use of online proctoring guarantees that students do not cheat on tests. By doing this, pupils are guaranteed to receive the grades they deserve and academic integrity is increased.
- Convenience : Students may take examinations whenever they choose, from any location, using online proctoring. Students who live a long way from their school will particularly benefit from this.
- Cost-effective : Proctoring online is frequently less expensive than proctoring in person. This is because of the lack of a financial requirement for a physical proctor or testing site.
Problems with Online Proctoring
- Privacy Issues : Exam activity is observed when students are taking it online. Some pupils could view this as an infringement of their privacy.
- Tech Problems : Proctoring online is primarily reliant on technology. Technical difficulties during an exam might make students feel stressed and anxious.
- Very Little Flexibility : The kinds of questions that can be asked during an exam when using online proctoring might be restricted. It may also shorten the time given to pupils to finish an exam.
The best technique to guarantee academic integrity when taking online tests is through online proctoring. Live proctoring, automated proctoring, and recorded proctoring are the three basic methods of online proctoring. When choosing a proctoring technique, educational institutions should take their unique demands into account. Each style of proctoring has advantages and disadvantages.
Utilising video and audio technologies, online proctoring keeps an eye on the student's behaviour during the exam. The proctor keeps track of the student's activity using software, which might highlight any questionable behaviour. While there are numerous benefits to online proctoring, there are several issues that students and teachers should be aware of.
One of the biggest problems with online proctoring is privacy difficulties. Some students believe that being watched while taking a test violates their right to privacy. Technical difficulties might sometimes occur during an exam, which can make pupils anxious and stressed. Limited flexibility is another issue, since online proctoring can be restrictive in terms of the kinds of questions that can be asked and the time allotted for students to finish an exam.
In general, online proctoring is an effective technique for educational institutions to guarantee academic integrity during online tests. Although there are certain issues to be aware of, there are more advantages to online proctoring than downsides. Online proctoring will probably grow more complex and efficient as technology develops in order to stop academic dishonesty in online learning.
Mercer | Mettl is a leading global online assessment platform that offers a variety of assessment solutions, including online proctoring services. Mercer | Mettl's online proctoring services use advanced technology to ensure the integrity of online exams.
Mercer | Mettl's online proctoring services include live proctoring, automated proctoring, and recorded proctoring. With live proctoring, a proctor watches the student take the exam in real-time and can intervene if the student appears to be cheating. Automated proctoring involves software that monitors the student's activity during the exam and can flag any behaviour that seems suspicious. Recorded proctoring involves the student taking the exam while being monitored by video and audio technology. The recording is then reviewed by a proctor at a later time to find out if the student was cheating.
I hope you find this article helpful on online proctoring, if you have any problem then please feel free to ask in the comment section. Also share this blog with your friends to help them in knowing about what online proctoring is and how it works.
Leave a Reply