Have you ever considered living in a hotel? Hotels offer a lot of advantages over a house or apartment, such as having your housing expenses, such as your internet, utilities, and cleaning services all in one convenient payment. Additional perks to hotel living can include use of a swimming pool or fitness center right in the building.
Perhaps because of these conveniences, some celebrities have chosen to live in hotels for extended periods of time, and in some cases, they lived there for decades. Here are 20 examples:
1. Howard Hughes: The eccentric billionaire and aviator Howard Hughes lived in various hotels for years. Most of his time living in hotels was probably spent at the Beverly Hills Hotel, where he lived for 30 years. He lived in one of their poolside bungalows that has since been renamed in his honor.
2. Elton John: The legendary musician Elton John reportedly lived in the Sunset Marquis Hotel in West Hollywood for several years.
3. Johnny Depp: Johnny Depp has been known to stay in luxury hotels for extended periods. He spent some time at the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood and the Carlyle Hotel in New York City.
4. Oscar Wilde: The famous playwright and poet Oscar Wilde lived in the Cadogan Hotel in London for some time during his career.
5. Coco Chanel: The iconic fashion designer Coco Chanel resided at the Ritz Paris for over three decades. The hotel even has a suite named after her. Chanel was also visited by numerous famous guests at the Ritz, including Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali.
6. Jim Morrison: The frontman of The Doors, Jim Morrison, was known to live in the Chateau Marmont on and off during his time in Los Angeles. He was also one of many famous residents at the Hotel Chelsea in New York.
7. Michael Jackson: The late pop icon Michael Jackson spent some time living in luxury hotels, including the Lanesborough Hotel in London.
8. Whitney Houston: Whitney Houston had a reputation for living in hotels while on tour or in various locations, such as The Ritz-Carlton.
9. F. Scott Fitzgerald: The author of "The Great Gatsby" was known to live at hotels, including The Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles.
10. Marilyn Monroe: This blonde bombshell lived at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel for two years, and also lived at the Beverly Hills Hotel for two years.
11. Elizabeth Taylor: Sometimes referred to as the ''Last Star,'' Liz Taylor lived at the Hotel Bel Air for a year. Her husband at the tims was the hotel's manager, Nicky Hilton. Like Howard Hughes, she is also associated with the Beverly Hills Hotel, where she honeymooned in one of their poolside bungalows.
12. John Travolta: The star of Saturday Night Fever lived at the Hotel Pink Beach in Bermuda for nearly a year, and still stays there from time to time.
13. Janis Joplin: Joplin was one of many celebrity residents of the Hotel Chelsea in New York City. Some of the other residents include Cher, Jimi Hendrix, Leonard Cohen, and Stanley Kubrick.
14. Jack Kerouac: The author of ''On The Road'' lived at the Marlton Hotel in Greenwich Village.
15. Peter Sellers: One of the stars of numerous Pink Panther films, Peter Sellers lived at The Dorchester Hotel next to London's Hyde Park. He also passed away at The Dorchester of a heart attack on 24 July 1980.
16. Pernell Roberts : Best known for his starring roles in the TV series Bonanza as well as in Trapper John MD, Pernell lived in a converted tea house at the Hollywood Hills Hotel for 20 years.
17. Tennessee Williams: The playwright of plays that include Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Glass Menagerie, and A Streetcar Named Desire lived in New York City's Elysee Hotel for 15 years. Like Peter Sellers above, he also passed away at the hotel where he lived on 25 February 1983.
18. Cole Porter: The writer of dozens of songs including Night and Day, I've Got You Under My Skin, and Kiss Me, Kate lived at the Waldorf Astoria in New York for 30 years. He lived in a 10-room suite on the 41st floor with two baby grand pianos as well as two cats.
19 Richard Harris: This legendary Irish actor known for his roles in Camelot, Mutiny on the Bounty, and the Harry Potter series, amongst others, lived at London's Savoy Hotel for years.
20 Paris Hilton: This heiress is yet another longtime famous resident of the Waldorf Astoria, where she spent part of her childhood living with her mother and siblings.
As you can see, the famous folk who have lived in hotels come from a variety of walks of life. This list includes fashion designers, authors, actors, musicians as well as people from a variety of eras which date from the early 20th century to today. And it's not only celebrities who have lived in hotels. Many not-so-famous people like the convenience of hotel living, and it can be a great option when you are at an ''in-between'' stage in life. Some hotels even have special rates for long-term guests.