The world we live in is now more aware than ever about the impact that we have on the environment with businesses, organisations and individuals taking action to limit their energy consumption, reduce their carbon footprint and become more sustainable.
Here we take a look at window actuators, what they are, where they are used, their benefits and how they can help to make your property more environmentally friendly.
- What are Window Actuators?
Traditional windows require manual operation to be opened or closed, usually this is done by hand with a handle or for high up windows such as skylights, a screw jack and pole.
Window actuators allow for the quick, convenient, safe and straight forward operation of windows, vents and skylights of various types, size and design across commercial, industrial and residential sectors.
A window actuator is a type of motor which is used to control windows, vents and skylights. Powered by a source of energy such as electricity,
hydraulics or pneumatic pressure, windows can be operated in a number of ways, using buttons, sensors, remote controls or even programmed with timers to open automatically for hassle free ventilation.
There are 3 different types of window actuators that work in different ways – chain actuators, folding arms and linear and rack actuators. The one that is most suitable can depend on the size, type and weight of the window as well as the building itself and what the windows will be used for, factoring in things like smoke ventilation and roof access.
- Applications of Window Actuators
Electric windows are an innovative solution that is becoming more widely used and integrated into properties of different sizes, types and across various industries. Just some of the buildings that they are commonly used in include;
- Retail premises
- Residential properties
- Commercial buildings
- Eco Friendly Window Automation
For those who are looking for a safe, convenient and efficient way to operate their windows but want to ensure that it is as environmentally friendly as possible, here are just some of the reasons why window actuators are the perfect choice;
- Electric window actuators can be retrofitted to existing windows which means that there is no need for new, costly windows to be installed.
- Helps to effectively control internal temperatures, especially for larger properties and reduce their reliance on artificial systems such as HVAC which use a lot of energy and are expensive to run.
- Window automation helps to maintain a healthy internal environment by reducing humidity and improving internal air quality. This natural ventilation is a more energy efficient alternative to mechanical ventilation.
- They can be programmed with temperature sensors so that when it reaches a certain threshold, they open and allow fresh, cool air to circulate and that when they drop below a predetermined temperature, they close to keep the heat and warm air inside.
- The amount of energy used to power the windows is very little, making them much more energy efficient then using artificial systems.