If you've noticed damage or a failure of your gutters to work properly, you may be wondering if it's time to invest in new gutters. Before jumping to this conclusion, it is important to have a reputable gutter installation company inspect your gutters. In some cases, gutters can be repaired with new sections or a simple realignment, so the system begins to drain properly. Maybe your blockage is something as simple as a buildup of leaves and debris. In these cases, a routine cleaning may be enough to solve your issues. No matter the reason, if your gutters aren't working properly, water damage to your home or surrounding property could be the unfortunate result. Thus, if you have noticed that your gutters aren't working as well as they once did, now is the time to contact the gutters experts for a thorough evaluation, so you can decide on the best course of action.
Why Are Gutters Important?
Gutters are one of the most overlooked aspects of building a house. While many people see a beautiful home with a perfectly manicured lawn, what they don’t realize is that gutters play an integral role in keeping that same home safe from water damage. When rain falls, the gutters act as a catch basin to direct the water away from the foundation of the home. Problems arise when water builds up behind the gutters and overflows into the downspouts. This overflow then runs along the ground until it reaches a drainage pipe or other outlet. Once there, the excess water may back up into the basement or crawl space causing significant damage.
It is even possible that if your gutters are damaged or clogged that excess water could back up on your roof, leading to rot, decay, leaking water, and even mold/mildew growth. Even if, no significant damage is done to your home, heavy, flowing water can negatively impact the landscaping around your home, causing erosion of the soil and flattening of your plants. With so much potential for damage, gutter maintenance should not be ignored.
What Are the Signs That My Gutters Need Replaced?
If you notice any of the following signs, it is possible that your gutters need repaired or replaced:
1. Water Damage - If you notice water seeping under your siding or coming inside your home, it is likely that your gutters have been compromised.
2. Overflow Problems - If you notice that water has built up behind your Denver gutters and is overflowing onto your roof, it may be time to call a professional.
3. Leaks - If you notice leaks in your ceiling or walls, this could indicate a leaky gutter.
4. Sagging Gutters - If you notice that your gutters are sagging, this could mean that they are compromised and may need full replacement.
5. Debris Build Up - If you notice leaves, sticks, or other debris have built up in your gutters, it could mean that they are blocked or dirty and need serviced.
6. Cracked Downspouts - If you notice cracks in your downspouts, this could mean that the downspout was installed improperly or that it is too small.
7. Damaged Roofs - If you notice that the shingles on your roof are beginning to peel, this could mean that your gutters aren't functioning properly causing damage to your roof.
8. Erosion - If you notice that soil is being washed away around your landscaping, this could mean that water is backing up into your yard because it is not being properly diverted.
9. Broken or Missing Parts - If you find missing parts such as screws or brackets, this could mean that someone tampered with your gutter system.
10. Stained Walls and Ceilings - If you notice stains on your walls or ceilings, this could mean that rainwater is leaking into your home.
11. Slope Issues - If you notice that one side of your gutters slopes more than another, this could mean that you have a problem with your drainage system. In some cases, this could mean that a drainpipe is clogged.
12. Mold Growth - If you notice mold growing in areas where water collects, this could mean that something is wrong with your gutters.
13. Tree Roots Grow into Your Guttering System - If you notice tree roots growing through your gutters, this could mean that there is a blockage somewhere in your system.
14. Other Structural Issues - If you notice any structural issues with your gutters, this might mean that they need repair or replacement.
If you notice any of these issues your gutters are in need of service. Contact a reputable gutter installation company to determine if your gutters need to be fully replaced, repaired, and/or cleaned.
What Causes Gutter Damage in The First Place?
There are many factors that together or separately can cause damage, malfunction, and clogs to occur within your gutter systems. Some of these include:
• Weather conditions (heavy rains, extreme heat)
• Excessive snow accumulation
• Lawn mowing equipment
• Tree branches
• Normal Wear and Tear
Why Is Regular Maintenance Important?
Regular gutter inspections and maintenance are an important way to ensure your gutters remain functional year-round. It is advisable to have your gutters inspected at least once and up to twice yearly for damage and clogs. Keeping on top of maintenance helps to prevent significant issues from going undetected and causing costly damage to your home and surrounding landscaping. Not to mention, if you take proper care of your existing gutters they will last longer, so you get the most out of your investment.
What Should You Expect from Your Gutter Installation Company?
When choosing a gutter installation company, make sure that they offer quality service. There are many companies out there who claim to install gutters but do not provide any follow-up services. Make sure that the company you choose offers regular inspections, cleanings, and repair. They should also offer free estimates and stand behind their work. The most reputable companies offer a warranty for a specified period of time following the installation of a new gutter system.
If you are concerned about the functionality of your gutter system, are wondering if you need repair or replacement, or want to begin regular maintenance and cleanings, contact a trusted gutter installation company today!